Re: [Debian installer] Problem with umounting hd-media

On Tue 23 Apr 2013 at 10:58:16 +0200, Julien Groselle wrote:

> We are installing some Debian wheezy on tests servers and we are assuming
> some issues :
> One of them are really annoying :
> - We install the system with USB flash drive.

Using a methods from either Section 4.3.2. or Section 4.3.3. of the
manual?

> - After booting on it, the USB stick is mounted on /hd-media/
> - The .iso image situated in hd-media is loop mounted on /cd-rom/

Mounting takes place when an ISO is selected.

> - After that, the installer umount /hd-media/ and /cd-rom/ is still mounted

The unmounting of /dev/sdX actually takes place at the Detect network
hardware stage.

> 1. we need data on USB key to use trunk module
> 2. we need data on USB key to launch post-install script
>
> It is impossible to remount USB stick on /hd-media/ because it is busy (iso
> on cd-rom).
>
> We don't know if it is a bug or a normal behavior...

It is not the behaviour with a Squeeze ISO but someone on debian-boot is
likely to know whether the change in iso-scan is intentional. I'd say it
is worth sending a mail there.

> But we need to keep data on USB Stick accessible on the server during all
> the install process.
>
> Please, we need advice on this case.

1. Provide the data on another USB stick, or

2. Write the ISO to a USB stick as in Section 4.3.1. There is free space
   remaining to partition and format.