Re: Dist-upgrade or upgrade. Which?

> > I always use dist-upgrade but there's not a lot a choose. Upgrade
> > upgrades installed packages while dist-upgrade can make more
> > significant changes. Once Wheezy becomes stable the two should do
> > the same thing. However, I prefer to stay in the habit of using
> > dist-upgrade (or full-upgrade for aptitude).
>
> The point is, you are *SAFER* using upgrade. Using dist-upgrade can
> remove half your sysytem before you can say OMG!
>
> I recommend that new users follow Jochen's advice.

This might only apply to Ubuntu but I am sure I have had packages such
as kernels with security related updates that needed dist-upgrade to
install.

So perhaps safer isn't quite the right word.

I usually use dist-upgrade and I wonder if using upgrade will allow me
to install updates without pulling in jockey and so polkit for
steam-launcher.

Of course it is no fix but will allow me to stay secure and ignore the
problem for now until I do need a dist-upgrade or use equiv.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)