Re: Strange load average

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 09:55:22AM +0200, Urs Thuermann wrote:
> I run Debian testing/amd64 with current kernel on an Intel Core2Duo:
>
>     $ uname -a
>     Linux bit 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.41-2 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> When the system is idle even for long periods, the 5-minute load
> average and 15-minute load average don't drop:
>
>     $ while sleep 10; do uptime; done

[cut]
> Is that a known kernel bug?

Probably not. It's probably just a rounding/display issue. Remember
that you're asking the system do do some work every ten seconds so, when
it reads "0.00", it doesn't mean that it's absolutely zero, but rather
that the load is less than 0.005. This small load accumulates over the
minutes so the 5 and 15 minute load averages are high enough to show.

Try sleeping for 60 seconds between calls and see if that lowers things.