Re: sync apt/dpkg state between systems?

Paul Wise wrote:
> Yes, I have a backup of these directories:
>
> /var/lib/aptitude
> /var/lib/dpkg
> /var/lib/apt
> /var/cache/apt
> /var/cache/debconf

Excellent!  You should be able to fully recover.

> Sorry, should have been more specific when I said "I had
> a backup of my apt and dpkg state directories".

No worries.  I am very happy to hear that /var was backed up.  Because
many times it is not.  But since you have it then you have everything
you need.

I do not have a completely canned recipe for recovery.  But I think
between you, me and the rest of the mailing list that we can develop
one.  It will be a team effort.  :-)  Let me think this out on the
fly.  So caution that it isn't fully thought out.

First, I would install a minimum system.  Or if not then I would
install the system using the same options that you installed the
original system you want to recover.  The same is good.  Or less is
good.  More package can be problematic.

The problem is that you want the new system to have the same uid:gid
numbers for the new system as the old system.  Many packages create
users when they are installed.  So what you want to do is to wedge in
between when the system is minimally installed and when everything
else is installed and plant your old password file there first.  That
is why a minimum installation is usually best.

If you have already installed many things then some additional users
will have been installed already.  Depending upon the order the
uid:gid numbers will be different.  That isn't terrible.  But it does
mean that you will need to merge the uid numbers together.

* Start with a minimal system.  Then replace these files with your
backup versions.  (Or if you didn't start with a minimal system then
you must merge your backup copy into the new file.  Your choice.)

  + /etc/passwd
  + /etc/group
  + /etc/shadow
  + /etc/gshadow

* Restore whatever of /etc that you desire.  Of course this includes
the /etc/passwd files above but if you needed to merge the password
files then I wanted to call it out explicitly.  All of the rest could
be restored directly.

* Restore the debconf database.  This way the previous choices made
will be preseeded into the new installation.

  + /var/cache/debconf/config.dat

* Restore the /var/lib/apt/extended_states file.

  + /var/lib/apt/extended_states

* Use the APT extended_states file to install upon the new system.
This is a file that keeps track of what you installed manually and
what was installed as an "automatic" dependency.  Anything with the
Auto-Installed field being a "0" was installed explicitly.  Anything
with a "1" there was installed automatically.  Install all of the
explicitly installed things again.  Forcing "confold" here so that the
files in /etc that were restored from the previous system will be
preferred.

  # apt-get -o DPkg::Options::=--force-confold install $(grep-dctrl -sPackage -n -FAuto-Installed 0 /var/lib/apt/extended_states)

* Clean up the lint from the new config files that we just brought in.

  # find /etc \( -name '*.dpkg-*' -o -name '*.ucf-*' \) | less

Review the above output.  If looks okay then remove them.

  # find /etc \( -name '*.dpkg-*' -o -name '*.ucf-*' \) -delete

* Restore these files from the backup.

   + /root
   + /home
   + /usr/local
   + /var/spool/cron/atjobs
   + /var/spool/cron/crontabs
   + /var/www

== You are now finished with the easy stuff.  What is left is also
quite easy but needs some thought. ==

* Restore any /var/lib directories that remain from the backup.  This
usually entails shutting down the associated daemon first, doing the
restore, then starting the daemon again.  For example if mysql is
being updated then stop the mysql daemon.  Then restore from backup
the /var/lib/mysql directory.  Then restart the daemon.  Test that the
result is reasonable and correct.  If you cannot restore from
/var/lib/mysql then hopefully you will have a more explicit backup of
the database.  If so then if one fails you can restore from the other.

* Restore any other /var/* directories that you wish to restore.  For
example if there were any particular logs that you wanted to preserve
then I would restore those log files too.  For example I would
definitely want to preserve /var/log/apache and migrate it forward to
the new machine to allow web log analysis tools to continue the
history.

At this point I believe you should be up and running with a new system
that has replicated everything that was on your old system.  However I
did not test the above recipe.  I typed that in off the top of my
head.  I have almost certainly created an error along the way.  Please
proceed cautiously and take notes and update anything that was
incorrect.

I also welcome any comments from other readers on the mailing list
concerning this procedure.

Bob