Debian on recent MacBooks

Hi,

I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro (MacBookPro8,2), one with two
graphics chips in it (intel and radeon).  Installation went
absolutely fine (using EFI and grub-efi).  However, when it
comes to booting it, it's a world of pain.

By default, it gets confused trying to enable the radeon,
and shuts the display off entirely, which does not result
in a very usable system.
http://dentifrice.poivron.org/laptops/macbookpro8,2/ details
some of the nastiness, but given that this is bit old, is it
still necessary to rebuild stuff to get a working system?

Some pages gave instructions for physically disabling one
of the chips with grub using outb commands.  This allowed
boot with efifb only, but then X refused to start.  Also
tried building a 3.8 kernel, which apparently fixes KMS
issues, but still no joy--probably not using exactly the
right options here.

If anyone has got this working, using either the intel or
radeon driver (I'll settle for anything which gives a
usable display!) I'd be very grateful for any advice here.

Thanks all,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh