Re: Fw: Sound Problem -- More Information

On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 01:59:40PM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 11:22:48 -0400
> From: "Stephen P. Molnar" <s.molnar@sbcglobal.net>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Sound Problem
>

> 64 bit Debian Wheezy/Testing.  I had to reinstall the OS duer to a HD
> failure.  Sound worked prior to that.
>
> computation@abnormal:~$ aplay -l
> card 0: Solo1 [ESS ES1938 (Solo-1)], device 0: es-1938-1946 [ESS Solo-1]
>   Subdevices: 2/2
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>   Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
>

> When I run speaker-test I get the following:
>
> computation@abnormal:~$ sudo speaker-test
> [sudo] password for computation:
>
> speaker-test 1.0.25
>
> Playback device is default
> Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
> Using 16 octaves of pink noise
> Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
> Buffer size range from 32 to 16384
> Period size range from 32 to 16384
> Using max buffer size 16384
> Periods = 4
> was set period_size = 4096
> was set buffer_size = 16384
>  0 - Front
> Left Write error: -5,Input/output

TL;DR -- too much information.

Run all commands as root, this will stop permission errors obscuring
results. I don't mean using sudo, either.

Get out of X before running "speaker-test" That xruns error comes from
X?

Can you try from a live CD, hopefully, rule out hardware (or software!)

Are you sure your card does not require firmware?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X