Re: SSDT - Any more ideas??

On 04/04/13 12:11 AM, Ethan Rosenberg, PhD wrote:
On 03/04/13 04:54 PM, Ethan Rosenberg, PhD wrote:
On 03/04/13 01:00 PM, Ethan Rosenberg, PhD wrote:
Dear List -

Back from vacation.

HEADACHES!!

I formatted the usb stick as FAT16 loaded the DOS OS and the Bios
update.

The laptop would not boot from the stick.  Set the boot parameters to
boot from the usb stick.  Computer freezes.  Noticed that the laptop
recognizes the usb stick at FAT32.

Formatted the usb stick and loaded the DOS OS.

fdisk -l

<snip>

/dev/sdb1   *          32       63487       31728    e  W95 FAT16 (LBA)

The directory /media/usbstick exists.

Can not create the directory for the bios.

rosenberg:/# mount /dev/sdb1 /media/usbstick
mount: you must specify the filesystem type
rosenberg:/# mount -t e  /dev/sdb1 /media/usbstick
mount: unknown filesystem type 'e'
rosenberg:/# mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /media/usbstick
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
       dmesg | tail  or so

If you need more information, please tell me.

Thanks.

Ethan

I'm confused about why the usb stick isn't mounted automatically. Most
are. However the partition type and the file system are two different
things.

I'm not sure that the file system is actually correct. Did you format
it using mkdosfs -F 16 /dev/sdb1 or did you use some other command?

Once is it correctly formatted, you should have no trouble mounting it.

===========

Gary -

BEAUTIFUL!!

Corrected file system, installed bios update program, booted other
laptop from usb stick, updated bioos......

Crying!!!

Problem still persists!!!

Still crying.

Ethan

At this point I'm at a loss. It's not a Linux problem but something related to your laptop. Have you tried the manufacturer's technical support?

Gary -

Thanks.

Have you tried the manufacturer's technical support?  Now I will.

My gut feeling is that a software patch is missing.

Ethan

PS Anyone out there have expertise in Dell Laptops?

A missing software patch is unlikely since the error messages are occurring before the operating system loads.