Re: multi-core system and the file system

On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 03:26:31PM +0100, Matej Kosik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to ask, whether there is some intelligent way how to
> synchronize processes over the file-system state.
>
> E.g., if one process creates|modifies|deletes some file,
> how can I learn *when* that effect hits all cores?
> (not just the one where I executed those operations)

I'd suggest asking this on a kernel specific list if you're having
issues, but I would EXPECT the answer to be "immediately".

This is the nature of the typical "race condition". For example, you
have one thread that does "If exists $FILE; then read $FILE". And in
between the calls to "exists $FILE" and "read $FILE" a separate thread
deletes the file and replaces it with its own.