Re: permissions/sudo/sudoers

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 7:18 PM, John Lindsay <jclind@sentex.net> wrote:

> If I try 'sudo' in a terminal window, it asks for my password. If I try
> 'root's' password I get 'user not in sudoers file'. If I try my user
> password I get 'user not in sudoers file. this incident will be reported.'
>
> I'm trying to run 'sudo apt-get install mono-complete monodevelop' in a
> terminal shell so I can a SDR dongle working under linux. I am trying to
> follow the commands from 'rtlsdr.org/softwarelinux.
>
> If I run them under a root terminal it seems to work without asking for my
> password.
>
> I think all this should be done as a user not as a superuser since I as the
> user want to play around with this dongle.
>
> How do I add 'user' to the sudoers file so it doesn't complain all the time.
> I am not a command line guru -- I don't have a great understanding of all
> the commands so I need some direction.

In the default sudo setup, you have to be in the "sudo" group in order
to be able to use "sudo ...".

Assuming that your username is "th", you add it to "sudo" with "su -c
'adduser th sudo'" (you'll be prompted for root's password) and then
logging out and logging back in for the group change to take effect.