Re: console mode

james gray wrote:
hello

Question: what are the default use assigned to the f1 through f7 consoles.

i do understand that f7 is gui.

i have found
http://wiki.debian.org/Console

and at that address there is not a writ on f1 through f7 default assignments.

i would assume f1 could be for admin purposes ?.

i would just like to get it strait.

and then contribute what i find to that wiki for any other neophytes.

I spend most of my time in those consoles. In /etc/inittab I have set up an extra one: f12, where I go to 'startx' (I don't use a DM)
In f1 I have mplayer running on the Dutch avro classical webchannel.
F2 runs tail on syslog so I can see what is going on.
F3 runs byobu set up in 4 screens: tail on logtool, tail on ulog, alsamixer and tail on kernlog.
F4 I run apt on.
F5 has htop
F6 runs ssh to a laptop.
F7 is X.