Re: Broken wheezy update with my graphics card

Sharon Kimble wrote:
> Tonights spot of upgrades [dmsetup libdevmapper-event1.02.1
> libdevmapper1.02.1 liblvm2app2.2 libxdo2 xdotool ] has posed a
> particular problem for me. I noticed in the setting up of them these
> lines ..... W: Possible missing firmware
> /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168f-2.fw for module r8169 ... about 8 of
> them all saying more or less the same.

That is for the Realtek network card.  Those will be in the
firmware-realtek packaage.  It isn't related to the graphics card.

> I've been told that I should install 'firmware-linux-nonfree' but
> from past experience with this graphics card I will end up with a
> 'paisley patterned 'desktop which will be unusable.

Not good.  I know that firmware-linux-nonfree is needed for several of
the AMD graphics drivers.  The drm subsystem is not happy without it.

> Equally well, If I don't do something then the machine will just
> hang the next time it is rebooted. My graphics card is '00:01.0 VGA
> compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device
> 9645'.

For the above message concerning the rtl8168f-2.fw it is very likely
that you won't notice a problem if you do not have the firmware blob
installed.  I think you can safely ignore it.  However I don't know
what is in that blob.  And that is the problem.  No one knows what is
in the blob.  It is definitely not related to your graphics driver.

Bob