Re: NFSv3 config files for static ports

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 6:26 AM,  <sirquijote@lavabit.com> wrote:
>>> Debian 6.0.7.
>>> I'm trying to set up NFSv3 with static ports for use with a firewall. The
>>> only walkthrough I've found on this is for Red Hat, which says: "To
allow clients to access NFS shares behind a firewall, edit the
/etc/sysconfig/nfs configuration file to control which ports the
required
>>> RPC services run on."
>>> I don't have a /etc/sysconfig directory on Debian. Should I just
create
>>> it or is this config file put somewhere else on Debian?
>> /etc/default/nfs-common
>> /etc/default/nfs-kernel-server
>> (and, if you want to set the quote port)
>> /etc/default/quota
>
> Sorry. Just remembered.
>
> You also need to create "/etc/modprobe.d/lockd.conf" to set the lockd port.
>
> (If you're not using the Debian kernel and are compiling in lockd, you
have to use "/etc/sysctl.d/lockd.conf".)

I've been experimenting and I'm beginning to move forward, so thanks for
the advice.  One important question though:

I ran a speed test by transferring a 366MB file with "time cp ?" in the
Terminal from the local Mac over a gigabit LAN to the Linux server using
NFSv3, and got an astonishingly poor 12MB/s transfer speed.  Is that all I
can expect, or is NFSv3 capable of better?  The hardware infrastructure
involved demonstrably supports much faster speeds.