Laptop display smaller when not connected to external monitor

I'm having a bit of a strange problem. I'm running sid with KDE 4.8.4, and just received a new laptop at work. I've noticed something kind of odd that hopefully, someone can help with.

The laptop in question is a Dell Latitude E6520, with a resolution of 1920x1080. When I have it at work, hooked up to the docking station with an external monitor (dual-monitor setup), the Konsoles in the laptop LCD are a normal size, for an approximately 80x24 display at an 8 point font. However, when the laptop is not hooked up to the docking station/2nd monitor, everything seems smaller. xdpyinfo and the KDE size and orientation display in system settings both say that the resolution is the same, however, I have to reduce the font in the Konsoles to a 6-point font to get the same screen real estate in the terminal.

Is there a possible fix for this to keep the same resolution with and without the docking station?

Thanks,
--b