wheezy problem

I installed wheezy on one of the LAN hosts yesterday. Everything else is squeeze, including my amanda backup machine. Amanda kept saying my wheezy box wasn't working:

> WARNING: sbox.slsware.lan: selfcheck request failed: timeout waiting for ACK

I looked (in man and google) for an explanation of this, and found references to amanda-client.conf. There is no amanda-client.conf anywhere on my system, even on the squeeze boxes where amanda has been working fine for years (since sarge, IIRC).

In the wheezy box' inetd.conf, I found, from the install:

> amanda stream tcp nowait backup /usr/lib/amanda/amandad amandad -auth=bsdtcp amdump amindexd amidxtaped

and on one of the squeeze boxes:

> amanda dgram udp wait backup /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/lib/amanda/amandad -auth=bsd amdump amindexd amidxtaped

I pasted this line to the inetd.conf on the wheezy box, and amanda started working (amcheck did anyway). That's a significant difference in the inetd configuration. I expect some postinstall whinage, but never a broken inetd configuration. And I've never heard of configuring an amanda client.

Does anyone have an explanation of this? Is amanda going to be broken when I update the backup box to wheezy? Is it already broken?

--
Glenn English