vlans

Hi,

I am going to implement vlans on my Linux router. Have been reading about this about from when Squeeze was released and was ready to take the plunge today when I read this: http://wiki.defcon.no/guides/debian/vlan
Seems the documentation I had found so far is about to be outdated.

What I do NOT want is to have names like eth0.60 for vlan.60 incoming on interface eth0. Because if I decide it would be better to have vlan60 come in on eth1 I would have to rename all (firewall, etc.) scripts that refer to that name.

What I would like to have is names like eth0, eth1, eth2, vlan-staff, vlan-internet, etc.

Reading the wiki article it seems that configuring vlans is done after the startup sequence is pretty much done and somewhere in rc.local as it seems I have to issue a modprobe 8021q first. Only then can I use 'ip link add ..' to add the vlan interfaces.
But... That is way too late in the startup as it means all kinds of services that need networking to work have to wait until rc.local is being processed.

I am looking for a way to do all this with maybe udev via /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and the /etc/network/interfaces file
That way all will be running as soon as networking is up and anything after that can run too. I use those two now to make sure all is up-and-running in time for the rest to do their work.

Or.... is there a better way?

Bonno Bloksma