Re: Console showing control characters for input on console keyboard

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 18:50:02 +0100, francis picabia wrote:

> After some random keys were hit on a KVM, the console is showing control
> characters as the input.  We switched KVM console and the PS/2 KVM
> adapter, but the problem sticks with the system/OS.  Killing all getty
> to allow them to respawn has not helped.
>
> ssh logins are fine.  Only the console input is effected. It is showing
> ^R^O^O^T when 'root' is input (like a caps lock for control).
>
> Many years ago I saw systems which would switch to all upper case if the
> login input was given in upper case. This problem is similar.
>
> Is there something which can be entered on the keyboard to reset this or
> some process restarted?  Obviously I'm trying to avoid the disruption of
> a reboot on a server.

It seems like you may have sent some control sequence to the video
subsystem.  Suggest that you look into resetting that.  Try
	man reset
which may get you started in the right direction.

{Years ago I'd occasionally do something similar via dosemu and some
marginal old DOS programs.  Sometimes reboot was the only way out :( }

Good luck!