Re: Wheezy amd64 XFCE how to burn Blu-Ray (BD-R )discs?

Hi,

> i72600s-20130314-161929.png
> i72600s-20130314-162022.txt

There is nothing to see about an error of growisofs in the .txt file.
Nevertheless there should be the traditional final close error of
growisofs with BD-R:

  :-[ CLOSE SESSION failed with SK=5h/INVALID FIELD IN CDB]: I/O error

It is said to be harmless. Andy Polyakov promised to fix it with the
next release after 7.1. But that release did not happen for several
years now.

Is the BD medium mountable and fully readable afterwards ?

> Does anybody have any recommendations for Linux-friendly Blu-Ray writing drives?

I am using an old LG GGC-H20L and a newer Optiarc BD-5300S, which
replaced a Pioneer BDR-205 that went bad after a year (i got my
money back).

There should be no Linux-specific problems with any particular DVD or
BD drive model at PATA, SATA, or USB cables. They all obey the
published SCSI command specs (SPC and MMC).
The burn software is based on libburn, as is Debian's current version
of Brasero.

It is possible that the kernel or programs like hald sabotage the
communication between burn program and drive. But that should be in
no way specific to the drive. Only to the system software.
BD-R is not very prone to interference by hald or udev. CD-R[W] and
DVD-R[W] are the most vulnerable media types in that aspect.

It is also possible that an individual drive is bad or goes bad.
It is even possible that it goes bad temporarily. (This happens
with my Optiarc BD-5300S when i insert a CD. Afterwards it spoils
BD in a very reliable way. Power-off power-on repairs it. Shrug.)

Gary Dale states that Brasero is supposed to support BD.
Get the newest available version and give it a try.
(That would be a version from Debian wheezy or sid, i assume.)

I had a quick look into the source of xfburn. It is not really aware
of BD but seems not to have checks which would refuse on them.
Only the speed display is probably in DVD units rather than in BD units.

Alternatively you could tell me what files you want to have in
an ISO 9660 filesystem on that BD so that i can compose a xorriso
run for you. (I know, command line is not comfortable. But it is
powerful.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas