Re: Wanted: an internet free minimal Debian install

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> Current standard practice optimizers AWAY from my goal.
> My old 2 Mhz Z80 32 kByte system could do more than 90% of what I actually
> use my computer for.

So buy a Commodore 64? That should give you 180% of what you need, right?

> Instead Debian follows in the dainty footsteps of corporate behemoths such
> as Microsoft, Apple, and Canonical by loading everything {including a
> variety of kitchen sinks} into a base install.

Not really. The base system installs in well under a GB of HD space
(don't remember the exact number). No X11 even.

> There are some, who having finished reading this article, might ask "Why not
> use ...(DamnSmallLinux, Slackware, TinyCore, etc, etc.)?"
> Because I wish to conveniently cooperate with some specific people who use
> Debian based distros. Also I know all the software I might currently wish to
> use is already in Debian repositories.  And I like apt and synaptic ;)
>
> I have several specific environments in mind.
>
> Presumed configuration
> at least 486 class CPU (if I run into a 386 I'll treat as special case)

The Linux kernel has dropped support for 386 anyway. A Pentium,
or better yet, a Pro or II (686 class) would make a wold of difference
I think.

> 1 GB RAM

If you want 1GB RAM on a 486, pretty sure you will need a
server-class machine. Even then it might not be available...

> VGA display
> Serial/PS2/USB mice depend ending on individual machine
> CD drive - may not be bootable
> keyboard
> All target machines currently use Win95 or later.
>
> What the typical user will have at install time.
> Computer with keyboard, display, and no mouse. (explicitly no GUI mode
> installer)
> Installation iso on a CD or flash drive as desired.  ( target iso size is
> ~100MB, smaller if possible)

why do you care how big the the iso is?

> Debian repository on a mass storage device.         (I currently use the 8
> DVD set for my experiments)
>
>               (am experimenting with copy on 64GB flash)
> Collection of preseed.cfg files.   (many of target audience not expert but
> desire flexibility)
>
> The common functionality I see available after a base install
> kernel, generic display driver, generic mouse driver, apt, apt-offline,
> ability to read multiple CD repository

Do you mean like vesa console and gpm mouse? Or do you mean
basic Xorg?

> What is intentionally not installed at this point is any network
> connectivity, any display manager or desktop environment, or just about any
> application software. What I've not decide is what shell or scripting
> framework should be installed by default.

You can not configure the network, but network support will still
be there. I guess you could blacklist all the network card kernel
drivers. Don't disable the core network stack that allows the
loopback to function, though, that might cause something to
blow up. Sounds like a lot of work for no reason though.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers