Python 2.7 packages from testing - 2.6 equivalents not available

A developer wanted packages python-networkx python-numpy python-scipy python-matplotlib
amongst others.  Then I learned he had developed everything in Ubuntu where 2.7 is
the standard version.

No problem, add a repo for testing and install python2.7

There are two problems with the shopping list within testing.

python2.7-matplotlib is not among the 500+ python*
packages in testing.

If I do:

aptitude -t testing install python2.7-scipy python2.7-numpy

It comes back with a suggestion to remove 44 packages from the system
including gcc, virt-manager, etc.

Is there a way to add in these 2.7 packages without interfering with
core python 2.6 (as installing python2.7 was able to be a simple alternate)?

I've seen something called pip but never used it.  Is this like pear/pecl for php?
Would that be the key?  How to control it so it doesn't clobber python 2.6 land?