Re: Moving from a proprietary OS - unnecessarily inful experience -- was [Re: I wish to advocate linux]

	What I like about *nix is that it builds on the
experience of 3 decades plus a lot more sound theory. Nobody has
scrapped anything that is truly useful to cut corners and that
is what I find impressive.

	I don't think anything is served by a battle of the
young guns versus the old codgers, but the young guns have more
history to learn and, if they really learn it, age isn't an
issue. It is all about knowledge. Someone once said that before
you tear down a fence, you should learn why it was built in the
first place.

	I guess that at 61, I am either an old young gun or
turning in to a young old codger but I like to think about the
future much more than the past because a lot of what is
happening now is going to eventually be much better than it is
now as long as we don't loose track of why certain design
principles are just as necessary now as they were in 1968 or so
when Unix began at Bell Labs.

Martin McCormick