Re: inquire report bug

On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 09:04:50PM -0800, sting wing wrote:
>    at this address: [1]http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
>    there is this line: If you are unable to determine which package your bug
>    report should be filed against, please send e-mail to the [2]Debian user
>    mailing list asking for advice.
>    The following is found in top panel menu Applications/Log File Viewer/
>    messages.
>    same data as found in kern log.
>    i was told in lap top mail list i should consider it for a bug report, yet
>    i know not.
>    Installed in: HP Pavilion G4, Intel Pentium B960 @ 2.20 GHz.
>    thank you.

OK. You've done the right thing, we can help you move on from here.

First of all, is this a bug? That is, does you system behave badly
because of these errors? I see it's an ACPI error, so do the fan(s) run
at a decent speed, can you press the power button to invoke a graceful
shutdown etc etc?

If the computer acts normally, then these "errors" may not actually be a
problem. It could just be the kernel saying "I tried this, but it didn't
work. You didn't actually need it though"

If, however, there is an issue, do you have the latest BIOS firmware for
your machine?

If you have the latest firmware, there there are two more things you can
try, but require a bit more work. One is to compile and run the latest
vanilla kernel (that is, from kernel.org); that may include a
workaround. Two is to compile your own ACPI DSDT and fix the errors.
There are plenty of HOWTOs on the internet for achieving both of these.