Re: Help please - install the WiFi driver

On 04.03.2013 03:04, Mark Filipak wrote:
On 2013/3/3 4:34 PM, Roman V.Leon. wrote:
-big snip-
Why do you think you need a special driver?
Please type "/sbin/ifconfig -a" in your terminal to check whether you
have "wlan0" device or not in the list.

mark@MarkFilipak:/media/usb8/Setup/Debian 6.0.6 64-bit/Packages$
/sbin/ifconfig -a
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:8b:dc:30:fd
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:18

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:1696 (1.6 KiB) TX bytes:1696 (1.6 KiB)

pan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr ba:3e:86:e1:5a:91
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1b:77:80:2d:b9
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Well, 00:1b:77:80:2d:b9 is indeed the WiFi's NIC. So why can't I get to
the Ethernet, and why does everything I see on the Internet (when I'm in
Windows of course) say that I must obtain an Intel 3945ABG driver
because it's non-free? "...Come to me and fall on thy knees, and I will
set thee free!"

Hi again Mark,
I'm not sure why all the articles you've found require you a special driver(though it can be a serious reason for this). But i think that if you have wlan0 interface you do not need anything else on your system. There are a lot of software with GUI(NetworkManager, Wicd, ...)which could help you to manage your wifi interface, but I think you can read about it later when you find some time. To get internet working you can use wpa_supplicant tool, it is a CLI tool, but it is very easy. At first you should create a config-file with such content:
-------------------
network={
	ssid="home"
	scan_ssid=1
	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
	psk="very secret passphrase"
}
-------------------
Rename this file as wpa_supplicant.conf. I think that content is more or less clear and you can adjust these parameters according your own needs. Then you can start your wi-fi card by command:

sudo /sbin/wpa_supplicant -cwpa_supplicant.conf -iwlan0

I think the command is also easy to understand. I hope that after these actions you'll get your wifi working till next reboot. Probably you will need to assign an IP-address manually to your NIC.

I'd recommend you to read the man pages:
1) man wpa_supplicant
2) man wpa_supplicant.conf
And download an excellent book which you'll find here:
http://debian-handbook.info/
You can read it from time to time when you are in a public transport and I think it will be a kind of an eye-opener for you.

--
From Russia with love,
Roman V.Leon.