Re: Installation failed

On Fri 01 Mar 2013 at 20:13:40 -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> Brian wrote:
> >
> >The kernel has no knowledge about a non-existent hard disk so how can
> >GRUB possibly attempt to install itself there?
>
> good point, but then again, what does grub-install (try to) use as a
> default if a specific device isn't specified?

The device holding the installer is probably /dev/sda if was the only
one connected to the machine when it was booted. The device being
installed to would then be /dev/sdb.

Given the go-ahead, GRUB could possibly choose to put itself on
/dev/sda. If it does, it is a bug but it is separate from the one Mark
has encountered. However, he should be made aware to answer "No" if he
is asked "Install the GRUB boot loader to the master boot record?" Then
he would type the device name he made a note of at the partitioning
stage.

[Snip]

> I'll still bet that the grub-install failure, and subsequent boot
> failure stems from:
> - a partitioning error, and/or,
> - grub-install installing the boot loader in the wrong place, and/or,
> - a messed up grub configuration file.
>
> From the above partitioning table, I'm going to guess that
> 1. he's booting and running the live-USB from Pri-0,
> 2. trying to install to Ext-0,
> 3. maybe re-installing the MBR on Pri-0,
> 4. not properly setting up the grub configuration to give a choice
> of booting from either partition

Guessing wouldn't be needed if Mark provided a syslog extract showing
why the GRUB install fails.