Re: Installation failed

Rob Owens wrote:
On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 07:25:30PM -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Rob Owens wrote:
On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 03:16:12PM -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Mark Filipak wrote:
GRUB & LILO install failures unexplained - no help.
Well that makes perfect sense.  GRUB and LILO boot loaders designed
to work with a hard drive.  You (probably) need to install a
different boot loader on a USB stick - and which one is dependent on
what your BIOS supports (and, of course, you have to set your BIOS
appropriately).

Booting from a CD/DVD follows a different process - using isolinux
as the boot loader.

GRUB will work on a USB stick.  I have Debian installed on a USB stick
right now and it uses GRUB.

Syslinux is another way of doing it, but I don't know enough about it to
comment one way or another.

come to think of it, if one is not REALLY careful, it's pretty easy
to install a boot image on a USB stick, but then install the boot
loader on the attached hard drive -- if you don't partition things
properly, and don't use the right options, grub-install will go
ahead and stick the boot loader on your attached hard disk, rather
than the USB stick; or fail when it tries to access a non-existent
MBR on the USB stick that hasn't been partitioned to have one

in fact, I expect that's what's happening to Mark when he tries to
install GRUB - the installer is either:
a) trying to install on the hdd, which he's disconnected (fail), or,
b) trying to install to the USB stick, which hasn't been partitioned
properly (fail).

I think you're probably right.  When I successfully installed Debian and
GRUB to a USB stick, I manually paritioned the USB stick with the
installer.  I did not partition it beforehand, as I think Mark did.
Maybe the installer's partitioner does some magic that I don't know
about...

Yeah... this is one of those situations where reading the instructions VERY carefully, and understanding step by step, what instruction is putting what information, where, becomes very important. Best not to try fancy stuff until you're comfortable with a default installation.

How did this start, again? Something about 'Linux will never be successful until as easy to install as Windows;'
- neglecting that fact that most often Windows comes pre-installed; and,
- oh, by the way, I'm trying to install FROM a USB stick; and,
- oh, by the way, I'm also trying to install TO the same USB stick; and,
- I can't be bothered to read the detailed directions - this is what I did, it's not working, why?; and, - I can't use my hard drive, because it's got WinXP on it, and I don't have an install disk for it.
Sigh.....

Cheers,

Miles