grub2 Problems

Not sure if this is the proper place or not, but here goes...

I have just gotten around to installing squeeze, and have encountered a snafu with grub2

I have an older computer with IDE drives.  I have an old copy of Win98 on sda1, with Debian
on this drive.  I have Win XP on sdb1

I'm still chainloading.

Debian and XP on sdb1 boot fine, but Win98 won't boot on sda1.  The Windows logo comes up
and the progress bar moves normally for a short while, but then shows down to just barely moving
and never gets past this.

Win 98 still boots up with Grub Legacy so apparently I've not messed up the 98 Bootloader.

I've eliminated the os_parser and have the two windows systems installed from the 40_* file
in grub.d, and have tried various combinations in the configuration script.

Win98 is not critical but I'd still like to have access to it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?