Re: I wish to advocate linux

Mark Filipak wrote:
On 2013/2/26 5:39 PM, Joe wrote:
Linux is where it is without mainstream or mass interest. Enough people
want it, and use it, to maintain its viability. It *is* a success.

No, it isn't.

Says you.

There's a pretty big user base, as well as a whole slew of vendors, who'd say otherwise.

Somewhat better support from hardware vendors would be nice, but if the
price is viability of Linux malware, then it's too high.

You're kidding, right? Hardware support is crucial. How can you run an OS on hardware that doesn't have drivers available? Besides that, it isn't hardware that facilitates malware, it's backdoors and unattended port listeners.

Linux (and BSD) run on an awfully broad variety of hardware. And what's the big deal about paying a little bit of attention to the hardware we buy? We make hardware selections based on software all the time - office use vs. graphic artists vs gamers vs. video editors; hardware optimized for transaction processing, or database support, etc.