Re: I wish to advocate linux

Mark Filipak wrote:
On 2013/2/26 5:08 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Mark Filipak wrote:
On 2013/2/26 4:42 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Mark Filipak wrote:

For everyone who doesn't have their own development department to adapt Linux kernels to their widget, Linux has been a toy OS for technoweenies. That hasn't changed in 10 years and Linux has made no headway on the desktop (or the laptop). Why is that?

Toy OS for technoweenies? Try server o/s powering an awful lot of major applications.

Desktop Linux has less of a value proposition. Face it, most people use computers at work, where you've got to run MS Office - which means Windows or MacOS. Real simple.

Miles Fidelman

Your attitude, Miles, is typical and is a large part of the problem.

Ummm... what exactly is the problem of which you speak?

That Linux hasn't become the People's Operating System? The Volks-Machina? The dominant OS? That success has come to only commercial operating systems from companies with questionable devotion to the best interests of their customers in particular and the public in general? Or do you not care?

Ummm.... and why exactly is that a problem? If I want plain transportation, without having to worry about it, I buy a Honda Civic and have my local mechanic maintain it. If I need something more specialized (be it a race car or a trash hauler), then I start dealing with things that need more care and feeding.

If I want to write documents for work, I buy a Mac or a PC and run Office. If I don't want to be dependent on one of the big guys, I buy Red Hat, or Ubuntu, w/ support, and run OpenOffice or LibreOffice. If I'm running servers, then I expect to require a bit more technical competence (or pay for it) and run Linux, or BSD, or Solaris, or AIX, or something more specialized to 24/7/365 uptime.

So, I repeat, what exactly is the problem of which you speak, and why is my attitude a part of it?

And... by the way, you really don't need to send 2 copies of your replies - I read the list.

Miles Fidelman