Re: I wish to advocate linux

Alois Mahdal wrote:
On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 15:19:17 -0500
"frank ernest" <doark@mail.com> wrote:

I wish to advocate linux and I have one small problem.
There is one big problem with advocating Linux.  That there are
people here that "advocate" Linux by pushing users but that can
do much more harm than good.  I understand that often this is
meant good and it comes from fascination, but don't let that
blind you.

Linux distros have made a huge progress in past few years, but
for "normal desktop use" there definitely *are* problems that
won't be overcome easily.  (Mainly talking about availability
of certain kinds of software.)

Well... if Miss Jones is a hacker and wants to learn, I'd say "linux from scratch," then pick a distribution later.

If she's a desktop user, then I'd probably say "go BSD" wrapped in MacOS - best of both worlds.

Note: I speak as someone who runs a Debian server farm (which used to run Redhat, and before that Solaris), and who's run MacOS on my desktop for close to 30 years (with lots of strange things running under the hood, including various other environments under emulation).

But that's me,

Miles Fidelman