Re: I wish to advocate linux

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 15:19:17 -0500
"frank ernest" <doark@mail.com> wrote:

> I wish to advocate linux and I have one small problem.

There is one big problem with advocating Linux.  That there are
people here that "advocate" Linux by pushing users but that can
do much more harm than good.  I understand that often this is
meant good and it comes from fascination, but don't let that
blind you.

Linux distros have made a huge progress in past few years, but
for "normal desktop use" there definitely *are* problems that
won't be overcome easily.  (Mainly talking about availability
of certain kinds of software.)

In my book, best way of advocating it is simply using it.  And
yes, spreading the word, but generally only if people ask you
themselves.  Most of people won't ask in million years. I don't
dare to bother them.  But that's me...

However...:

> If I were (theoretically speaking,) to go up to Miss Jones
> and say "Why not try linux?" she would respond "Which
> distro should I try for there are many?

There is a great channel on YouTube about this. It goes from
"Mum tries out * Linux" to "Mum tries out " most desktop OSes
I've ever heard.

    http://www.youtube.com/user/OsFirstTimer?feature=watch

If your Miss Jones is like this amazing lady in the channels,
you will learn a lot from these videos.  In any case, definitely
worth watching at least the main distros or just for fun (they
cover even crazy things like Microsof Bob!)

> I'M NOT ASKING FOR A WHATS WRONG WITH THE COMPITITION
> DESCUSSION!!

Please, no double exclamation marks.  And definitely no caps.
It's strictly unacceptable in pretty every form of netiquette
I've ever seen. -cut-

Good luck,
aL.
--