Re: OT: Answering your own question (Was: Clamav update failed)

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 13:58:32 +1300
Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 08:14:04PM +0100, Alois Mahdal wrote:
> > I think that even if you actually knew the answer before you
> > asked, it's still better for community to "pretend" that you
> > ask and answer than to keep it all to yourself.
>
> Are you serious?
> Imagine the thousands of posts like, "What does uname -a
> produce" etc, etc, etc. debian-user is primarily a support
> ML. I suggest wiki.debian.org for a knowledge collection
> place.

Oh, I was just trying to counter that mood of "probably not
a good form so I should not post".

However, I think I know what you mean and I must admit that my
post must have sounded a little naïve.  I definitely do not
think that this should be the front line and I'm not using it
like that.

TL;DR:

    However, I sometimes (actually more often than not) happen
    to experience what IIRC is called "rubber ducky" effect.

    First I have problem with something, then I start composing
    question, and since I always try to add as much useful
    *verified* info as possible and call things correct names,
    I often find myself actually answering the question
    myself.  Typically at the phase of verification, i.e.
    before I hit "Send".

    Now if the reason why I had the issue was really only my
    tired brain, or a stupid typo, or some form of `man`- or
    Google- blindness, I refrain from sending anything, no
    matter how much time I spent on it.  And I did not mean to
    encourage the opposite in any way.

    However, at times reason might not be so foolish, sometimes
    it's something that is confusing or wrong in available
    sources. Then, I do not see reason why not to post.  Of
    course having the answer prepared in advance.

I was just trying to say that "probably not a good form" in
OP's sense is not a good reason by itself.

> And there's the rub ... who is going to moderate??
> If you prefer forums, ...

I hate traditional forums.  For me, StackExchange network and
the likes is something completely different.  Mostly thanks to
the semantic level and the "wiki-style", allowing maintenance
by community.

> ...there is ask.debian.net

How come I did not know about that one? :) Thanks, I'll
definitely have a close look.

Thanks,
aL

--