RE: Open new session with same user (in GDM)

> > How about running two different DMs? Isn't that what that's for?
> > Can't have competing DMs like KDM, GDM, and LightDM.  But why
> > shouldn't LXDE and e17 run at the same time?
>
> Or Xfce4 and Xfce4 and Gnome and Xfce4?  (I assume you mean DEs, not
> DMs.  Or we might as well want to run 2 inits! :D)

Well, yeah!  :)  No, I meant:  Can't have two DMs, so we need to prevent it,
but DEs should work, assuming one's xyzd demon (DBus or what-have-you) is
amenable.  It would be nice if multisession capability was feasible.

> > If no competing sessions can exist, then that goes against the spirit
> > of Unix.
>
> Exactly that's what I had in mind.

See above.  But in my previous post,  I really did have some grandiose
schemes in mind for allowing (integration of) running one desktop across
multiple separate computers (into a DM+DE).  It would generalize the
principle, but it's a bit like multiple inheritance in C++ vs. single
inheritance plus multiple interfaces in Java.  Multiple is nice, but it
really is a can of worms, which Java tries to sidestep.  Mostly, people are
just going to say that you can get what you want with Remote Desktops and/or
X-though-ssh-type things.  Which is why this rambling wreck of a tangential
digression is mostly just crazy talk.  Something ought to be possible and
done, but really, why bother?  There no real demand for it.

Anyway, it's OT, since this has little directly to do with Debian users.

> > Would starting a second X session do any good at all, as Kent
> > suggested?  There would still be only one DBus?
>
> Yep, that brought up gnome-session with no complaints. (I actually
> even omitted the "-- :2" part.)  Not via GDM, but that was not
> really a requirement, it was rather that I was expecting GDM would
> support that.  Somehow.
>
> ~
>
> But finally, the benefit was even smaller than as I commented in OP.
>
> While the gnome session seemed to run OK, the actual *application*
> I wanted to run didn't.

Drats.  Well, having worked through all this may have taught us something,
at least.

Well, this makes sense in many apps like
> MUA or web browser and it is often possible to address by telling
> the app to use other profile/dotfileset.  But we are just getting
> to the point when simply creating user foo is easier.
>
> Thanks all!
> aL.

De Nada

:)