RE: Open new session with same user (in GDM)

The latter would mostly work, except possibly with something leading to some
obscure race condition, solvable with proper use of lock files.  Open files
being edited may come out with competing versions, but last written wins if
the thing is properly multi-instance, like gedit.  If single instance only,
you would get errors and bailouts trying to start a second instance (of a
gtk or Qt app, forex).

Just a little guessing.

As far as starting a new session at GDM, wouldn't it be like starting any
other session with GDM?  Just choose your window manager+DE with the
pulldown menu?  What am I missing?