Re: Is there is any wifi firmware in main?

"Morel Bérenger" wrote at 2013-02-20 02:21 -0600:
> Le Mer 20 février 2013 1:33, agroconsultor0 a écrit :
> > On 02/19/2013 11:00 AM, Sven Joachim wrote:
> >
> >> So you'll probably have to live with
> >> non-free firmware, either shipped on the device itself or in some
> >> firmware-* package in non-free.
>
> To be honest, this is what I was expecting, but I thought that asking to
> the list could have give a solution.
> Since it is not an emergency, I will hope for some positive reply a few
> more time... who knows ? :)

See <http://linuxwireless.org> and
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_wireless_drivers#Linux>.

The Wikipedia table includes a field for the requirement of non-free
firmware.  Of those listed there, I remember having used ath5k, ath9k,
b43, madwifi, and probably one of the Ralink drivers.

Though I had an obsure once-a-month crash with ath9k in master/AP
mode, I would probably still look for ath9k support first if I was
purchasing wireless hardware, because of support for monitor and
master/AP modes as well as 802.11n.