Re: disk labels mismatch

pavicic wrote:
> This problem has been solved but since some points might be of
> general interest even to Debian developers here is a report on the
> issue.

Good to hear it has been solved for you.

> To summarize: There are 3 disks on the machine sda, sdb, sdc. Debian
> Sid is installed on sda.  sdb is _not_ mounted but contained an
> older installation of Debian Squeeze.
> The problem was that grub "saw" that old installation on sdb
> although sdb was _not_ mounted.  For example, I deleted grub.cfg and
> updated grub and all old installations from sdb would
> reapear. Equally so during booting.
> I would say that this is something that should be
> changed. Grub simply should not read unmounted disks.

This is actually a feature that other people rely upon to work.  For
example people who dual boot multiple systems expect the update-grub
script to search and automatically detect those other systems.  If
update-grub didn't locate those then these other people would have the
opposite problem to yours.  They would then no longer have an
automatically provided boot option for those systems.

Since these are conflicting features there is no way to satisfy both
at the same time.

Bob