Re: OT - Convert output of byte count to GB count?

On 2/16/2013 12:52 PM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Jerry Stuckle a écrit :
On 2/16/2013 10:20 AM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Jerry Stuckle a écrit :
On 2/16/2013 5:43 AM, Eduard Bloch wrote:
In fact, the main reason for becoming a drama is the impression that
numbers have on some people's mind. "I bought a 32 gig stick and Windows
says it's not even 30 gig on it... that's FRAUD!!"

Sure it has 32GB on it.  But that doesn't mean 32GB is available for
your files.  There is OS overhead, also.

Bullshit. Overhead does not consume 7% of the disk capacity. This is
just the difference between 1 GiB and 1 GB.

Overhead can easily take up 7% of the disk, depending on the file system
being used.

Let me rephrase it. Can you provide an example of a freshly created
filesystem of a common size with an overhead of at least 7%, i.e. with
the free space being less than 93 % of the raw size ?

How about answering my question. Exactly which disk do you have that you claim has 40,000,000,000 bytes?

And depending on your disk, almost any fs, including ext2 and ntfs, can have 7% overhead. Even the old FAT could have more than that.