Re: OT - Convert output of byte count to GB count?

On 2/16/2013 5:43 AM, Eduard Bloch wrote:
Hallo,
* Lisi Reisz [Sat, Feb 16 2013, 08:20:45AM]:
On Saturday 16 February 2013 03:20:54 Jerry Stuckle wrote:
When dealing with computers, it's powers of 2.  When
dealing with distances, it's powers of 10.

Not so.  Manufacturers of hard drives normally (frequently?) give the size in
decimal, though they obviously don't say so, to make them look bigger.

Actually, they do say so. Most harddisks I have seen so far have the
explanation printed on them or an explicite reference to the
documentation where they tell you that.

In fact, the main reason for becoming a drama is the impression that
numbers have on some people's mind. "I bought a 32 gig stick and Windows
says it's not even 30 gig on it... that's FRAUD!!"

Regards,
Eduard.

Sure it has 32GB on it. But that doesn't mean 32GB is available for your files. There is OS overhead, also.