Re: OT - Convert output of byte count to GB count?

Hallo,
* Bob Proulx [Sat, Feb 09 2013, 11:44:03AM]:
> Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> > Bob Proulx a écrit :
> > >   $ perl -le 'print 5605687296 / (1024*1024*1024)'
> >
> > Note that 1 GB (gigabyte) is 10^9 bytes as can be seen in the GNU dd
> > output. 1024^3 is 1 GiB (gibibyte).
>
> You say "tomato", I say "tomahto".  You can make your own divider the
> number 34,969[1] if you like.

Wow, someone trying to disguise the own mistaken convention as pure
matter of preference?

> For me I prefer binary powers of two when using it in relation to
> computer tasks.

You can prefer whatever you want but the means of reliable communication
are unambiguous terms. EOD.

Some dudes in nineteen-seventies didn't get it and another generation of
dudes is still trying to protect those "values" even perfectly knowing
they are wrong.

Regards,
Eduard.