Re: alternatives to skype

On Sat, February 9, 2013 7:16 pm, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On 2/10/13, Russell L. Harris <rlharris@broadcaster.org> wrote:
>> * Philip Ashmore <contact@philipashmore.com> [130209 09:45]:
>>> WebRTC is fast becoming the standard for this.
>>> Even Skype is thinking about adopting this for phone to tablet to pc
>>> video chats without plug-ins - see
>>> http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/webrtc/basics/
>>
>> Because you appear to have a current and good perspective on video
>> conferencing, may I ask your recommendation for an approach to utilize
>> in the immediate future -- tomorrow, next week, next month.
>>
>> I was about to install ekiga, but I found postings which warned that
>> the latest revision of ekiga created a number of problems.
>>
>> Then I ran across jitsi:  https://jitsi.org/Main/HomePage ,
>> which appears to be superior to ekiga.
>
> I failed to get Jitsi running about 2 months ago, Debian testing.
> Extremely high latency. I tried 3 times, 3 separate days, and didn't
> have the time to go into more depth (and reach a point of worthiness
> to post to this list). A very minor experience data point, but I'd
> like to get it working yet... Jitsi does look good.

I'm looking at SFLphone now and it appears to run on a more efficient basis.
Not far enough along yet to be able to make emphatic statement.

Telopar provide free accounts.
Regards,

Weaver

--
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its  government."
 -- Thomas Paine

Registered Linux User: 554515