alternatives to skype

* Philip Ashmore <contact@philipashmore.com> [130209 09:45]:
> WebRTC is fast becoming the standard for this.
> Even Skype is thinking about adopting this for phone to tablet to pc
> video chats without plug-ins - see
> http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/webrtc/basics/

Because you appear to have a current and good perspective on video
conferencing, may I ask your recommendation for an approach to utilize
in the immediate future -- tomorrow, next week, next month.

I was about to install ekiga, but I found postings which warned that
the latest revision of ekiga created a number of problems.

Then I ran across jitsi:  https://jitsi.org/Main/HomePage ,
which appears to be superior to ekiga.

But from your post, I now am curios about WebRTC.

I would like to conference with a few friends who are running Window$
and $kype, but I am reluctant to run $kype because of several recent
articles concerning privacy in $kype now that Micro$oft owns $kype.

However, it seems to me impractical to request of a Window$ user that
he install ekiga or jitsi.

RH