Re: Firefox under Squeeze

Bob Proulx wrote:
Klaus Jantzen wrote:
after having successfully  solved the various library problems I get
the following message
when trying to install firefox 18 under Squeeze (Debian 6.0.6)

How are you trying to install it?

I downloaded the installation file 'firefox-18.0.tar.bz2' from Mozilla
and followed the installation instructions.

XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /root/firefox/libxpcom.so:
libxul.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

That path "/root/firefox" is a very unusual path!  Probably not what
you want.

That is strange as 'libuxl.so' was extracted from the installation
tar and is in the directory.

Any suggestions?

You didn't say but is there a reason you aren't using the version 18
available from the Debian folks?

  http://mozilla.debian.net/

Works great!  Just install it and go.
I did'nt know there was one.
At the site you mentioned  I only find references to 'Iceweasel'.
Or is 'Iceweasel esr' that is recommended for installation equivalent to Firefox 18?
If nothing else you could always use it as a working example build if
you are making custom modifications.  Install the package source and
rebuild the package on your machine and you would have a fully working
example.  Then make modifications from there.

Bob
KDJ