Re: [OT] computer security (online) training

Le Ven 8 février 2013 8:24, lina a écrit :
> On Friday 08,February,2013 08:48 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> Sorry for taking advantage of the list a bit but as happens pretty
>> often, this list is more likely to provide useful info on the subject.
>>
>> I want to begin some training in computer security... training I can
>> do online... and hopefully a hands on approach.
>>
>> I'm already an old man at 66 but would like to learn enough to get
>> some kind of job involving comp security.
>>
>> I don't really need a job so far as having an income, since I'm
>> already retired from field construction boilermaker trade with a decent
>> pension, but I have lots of interest in security and have found through
>> my life that there is nothing like having a job in a field to really
>> make you learn the ropes.
>>
>> Cutting to the chase... after googling around I see there are many
>> many computer security training sites and companies.  I need a little
>> guidance to paring them down with my main criteria being hands on
>> training.
>
> I don't know much of this area, but you may try
> http://www.backtrack-linux.org/
>

>> So, any advice on this would be most welcome.  Anyone who thinks it
>> should go off list is welcome to email me: reader AT newsguy DOT com

In first years of my love for computer sciences, I was interested in all
fields, except spending thousands of ? in hardware.

My favorite was, and still is, programming, but thanks to some websites, I
was able to acquire some (basic, I did not spent enough time) knowledge in
other areas like system penetration and software reverse engineering
(well... ok, it was more about removal of protections on demos :D ).

For "pen-testing", I used to train myself on a website which was providing
various exercises (it is named newbiecontest, but is a French one).
Maybe you could find some in English...

A link I have found on "my" old (but still active, old as in memory) site
is http://w3challs.com/
It seems it provides an English interface, too, but I was not able to
force it.
I have not used it, so I can not guarantee you will find useful challenges
there, but it will probably send you on the good way to find interesting
contents.

Those websites are all about searching yourself how to go through the
securities they placed for you, so it is only learning by doing. Sometimes
they have some documents to explain basics, but those are basics.
Maybe with backtrack you could find interesting theoretic lessons, and so
you could use them on those sites.

I'm curious to look at other replies.