VFAT device mounted with wrong timestamps. WAS: Incorrect timestamps after files copied to Debian Squeeze.

I've recently made a post about Nautilus copied files from my Olympus
recorder with wrong file timestamps - UTC instead of local time.

Later on I've found the problem was rather in my recorder FAT16 file
system.  That is, I was simply hit by "system with UTC=yes in /etc/
default/rcS mounts FAT USB disk with wrong file time" bug:

There is a work around suggested by someone in the only comment to the
report

Well, it works. But it is still quite a poor suggestion. After reading
'man hwclock' carefully I would forbear from following it, especially if
often.

>From what I've learn on Google it looks the problem is old and still
unresolved Linux wide. Yes, Ubuntu and Fedora claimed to fix it. However,
I'm not sure they actually fixed it but not worked around it instead.

E.g.Ubuntu Launchpad claims the bug fixed in 'util-linux 2.16-1ubuntu4'
package:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/util-linux/+bug/426886

But the Debian bug report was made against 'util-linux 2.16.2-0' and
Debian Squeeze uses 'util-lunux 2.17.2-9'. Except if Ubuntu folks did not
submit their fix (again, if such exists) upstream.

Then, the way Ubuntu works is a little weird. Ubuntu 10.04, 12.04, 12.10
and Kubuntu 12.04 mount my recorder with the correct local time file
timestamps. However Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10 do not even have /etc/adjtime
file existing. Kubuntu 12.04 have adjtime file with only on line in it:
"0.0.0.0.0".

Ubuntu 10.04 adjtime contains the following:

-1133.264553 1290316524 0.000000
1290316524
LOCAL

At the same time its /etc/default/rcS file contains 'UTC=yes'.

BTW, openSUSE 12.2 using 'util-linux-2.21.2-4.2.3' mounts my recorder
with UTC time (wrong) file timestamps too. I do not know why, but this
was openSUSE developers decision - they wipe out kernel's timezone value
after System Clock is set upon boot.

A couple of questions...

1. I'm quite confused with the Debian Bug Tracking System. E.g. the bug
report above - I see the report itself but there is no information about
the bug status. Was it fixed, is it going to be fixed, or anything
similar. Where can I find this?

2. Is there any way to set kernel's timezone value to TZ environment
variable without touching either Hardware Clock or System Clock for one
login session only? I mean programmable way. If it's possible, could
somebody help me with this, please?

3. And the last, if anybody understands how Ubuntu makes it, could you
explain it to me, please? I would be very curious to learn.

Thanks for reading.