Re: SMTP server does not support authentication

Jerry Stuckle grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> What I said was the server doesn't accept authentication.  And yes, I
> have seen many servers which don't allow it from trusted sources.  They
> include localhost, but a large number also accept from designated
> servers (where authentication has already been done).  Often these are
> heavily loaded systems.
>
> If the source is trusted, there is no need to authenticate.

Agreed, there's no need if on a trusted network.  I personally don't see
a need to *prohibit* authentication from a connection on a local network
(and would most likely never set up a system that way), and I haven't
run into one yet.  Clearly, you have - so, I stand corrected. :-)

                  --Dave