Re: SMTP server does not support authentication

On 2/6/2013 1:22 PM, David Guntner wrote:
Jerry Stuckle grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
On 2/6/2013 12:32 PM, rodrigo tavares wrote:
Hello !

I try sent a email via web, come this errors.
I searched for many sites, but i not found
I have postfix, cyrus and LDAP included.

# When sent mail for firefox
Auhentication failure [SMTP: SMTP server does not support authentication
(code: 250, response: def.com PIPELINING SIZE 20971520 VRFY ETRN
ENHANCEDS

#Logs Cyrus.
Feb  6 15:41:07 defensoria cyrus/imap[1324]: fetching user_deny.db entry
for 'user^jim'
Feb  6 15:41:07 defensoria cyrus/imap[1324]: open: user user^jim opened
INBOX
Feb  6 15:41:07 defensoria cyrus/imap[1324]: fetching user_deny.db entry
for 'user^jim'
Feb  6 15:41:07 defensoria cyrus/imap[1324]: fetching user_deny.db entry
for 'user^jim'
Feb  6 15:41:07 defensoria cyrus/imap[1324]: USAGE user^jim user:
0.000000 sys: 0.000000

Any Idea ?

Rodrigo Tavares

Your message is telling you the problem.  Many servers do not require
(nor allow) authentication when coming from a trusted source, i.e.
localhost.

What are you using to send your webmail?

No, look again at the messages he's providing.  I can't speak for the
cyrus log entries in his syslog, but the 250 response from the MTA
(Postfix) is the telling one - there's no "AUTH" showing up there, which
means it's not configured to accept authentication.  Typically, a local
trusted net connection won't *require* auth, but I've yet to see a setup
where it's *prohibited* simply because it's local.

                --Dave

What I said was the server doesn't accept authentication. And yes, I have seen many servers which don't allow it from trusted sources. They include localhost, but a large number also accept from designated servers (where authentication has already been done). Often these are heavily loaded systems.

If the source is trusted, there is no need to authenticate.