Re: Anybody have a chromebook? Can it run Debian?

On Tue, February 5, 2013 6:14 am, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> It is possible, but it's not easy.  I tried installing a Linux
>>> distro (don't remember which one) from a thumb drive in Developer
>>> Mode and the BIOS recognized it but would not boot it because it
>>> wasn't signed. Google has some way of allowing developer
>>> self-signing, but I never looked into how that works.
>> The readers of this thread might find this blog posting interesting.
>>   Don't like Secure Boot? Don't buy a Chromebook.
>>   http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/22465.html
>
> Which reminds me of a question I have about these braindead "secure"
> booting systems: has any company (Google/Miscrosoft/younameit) actually
> shown evidence that there are attacks out there in the wild that
> subvert/replace the OS's boot sequence?
>
> I mean, I'm willing to believe there are such attacks out there, but in
> order to justify all this pain, they had better be very widespread and
> very nasty, yet I haven't heard much about such things.
>
> So I'd love to see a list of, say, "attacks we have seen in the past and
> which would have been prevented by SecureBoot".

Probably none.
I'm satisfied, in my own mind, that this is more about market control than
any aesthetic concern for market requirement on the part of Microsoft.
And a prelude to eventual legislation.
They've always worked in well with their political friends.
Regards,

Weaver

--
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its  government."
 -- Thomas Paine

Registered Linux User: 554515