Re: Debian is a translation.

On 03/02/13 07:40, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

OT:
But thinking about that, I remember that each time I do an update with
aptitude (or apt-get), translations for all languages are checked, and
when you do regular updates, you spend most of the time downloading
those translations. Then, to gain space, sometimes several hundreds of
MB (at first run), you will run localepurge.

All of this loss of time and bandwidth (for both server and client,
about bandwidth) could be avoided if it was possible to fully remove all
unused languages of Debian. I have no idea about the fact it is possible
or not...

In my /etc/apt/apt.conf, I have:

Acquire::Languages "none";

This seems to prevent downloading all the translations. However, I am English, speak English as my primary language and my installs are all in English, so I'm not sure what this option would do if the system's locale is anything else. I guess change "none" to the local language?

I also use a custom "locales" package which has a pre-built en_GB.UTF-8 only. It saves a *lot* of time when updating my slower systems.

--
Dom