Re: Network Sniffer

2013/2/2 Sthu Deus <sthu.deus@gmail.com>:
> Good time of the day, Meike.
>

> Thank You, Meike, for Your time and answer. You wrote:
>
>> What u mean is a "Network Forensic Analysis Tool" (NFAT).
>> You can capture with tcpdump or other similar tool (tshark, ...) in a
>> file and analyze this file later.
>
> So, besides now and latter - tcpdump has no such a feature as to show
> traffic content? - I do not say sorting / grep-ing /whatever it - that
> can analysis do - I simply want to view the captured content - can
> tcpdump show that?

The Question is, what you mean with "view the captured content".

* So if there are e.g. images in the captured http or ftp, or ...
stream and you like to see them, then NetworkMiner
"http://www.netresec.com/?page=NetworkMiner"; is doing this job without
any knowledge about the protocols ..

* Content can also be crypted username/password ... e.g. in radius or
https/ssl. Then is "Wireshark" your friend.
Wireshark is able to decrypt this, if you have the private key or
shared secret ...

Content is all the payload on a network. But there are so many
different kinds, there is no single tool to "display the content"
So explain what you want to do exactly, but don't let us guess ;-)

kindly regards

Meike