Re: Multiple CD ISO-image USB Booting?

On Tue 22 Jan 2013 at 21:28:03 -0800, GoOSSBears wrote:

> Another question I have is whether multiple images of Testing can be
> effectively used to boot a 4GB+ USB drive??  A common-use scenario
> for this is to have the capability to boot up separate instances (in
> their less-technical sense) of a particular architecture's desktops
> on the same portable USB drive, e.g., i386 KDE, i386 Xfce, i386 Lxde
> with an initial boot menu offering the bootup choices of any of
> these three full installation images. Theoretically, multiple
> *architectures* could also coexist and be made bootable on the same
> USB drive capacity-permitting, e.g., mixed ISOs of amd64, i386,
> ia64, ...etcetera.

The thread starting at

might help.

If you take GRUB's loopback route this stanza should work:

  menuentry "debian-wheezy-live-b4-i386-xfce-desktop.iso" {
          loopback loop /boot/isos/debian-wheezy-live-b4-i386-xfce-desktop.iso
          linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz1 boot=live findiso=/boot/isos/debian-wheezy-live-b4-i386-xfce-desktop.iso config
          initrd (loop)/live/initrd1.img
}

The findiso parameter may be replaced by

  fromiso=/dev/sdc1/boot/isos/debian-wheezy-live-b4-i386-xfce-desktop.iso ,

bearing in mind that your ISO may or may not be on the /dev/sdc1/ device.