Re: Pidgin makes noise

Thore wrote:
> schrieb Bob Proulx:
> >To turn off the console bell / console beeper in X use:
> >
> >   $ xset b off
> >
> >This is enabled by the Linux kernel module "pcspkr".  You can unload
> >the module from the running kernel with:
> >
> >   # modprobe -r pcspkr
> >
> >To prevent the kernel module pcspkr from ever being loaded you can
> >blacklist it by creating a file with just these contents:
> >
> >File /etc/modprobe.d/pcspkr-blacklist.conf:
> >blacklist pcspkr

I have never seen a case where one of those two things did not silence
the bell.

> >With that in place the module won't be loaded by default at boot
> >time.  Without that module installed then no program will be able to
> >access the console bell beeper (by normal means) and the beeper will
> >always be silent.
>
> I'm sorry, but both has no effect.
> The System Bell is ringing.
> And worst very loud.

I am sorry that it did not work for you.  But I feel strongly that
this *should* work.

> the xset b off command didn't worked, because X is not in use
> (nvidia bad bot not changeable)

You are not using X?  I was not aware that pidgin had a character
terminal interface!  Nor about FileZilla too.  But if you are not
using X then of course 'xset b off' won't be appropriate.  Will need
to concentrate on the console bell using pcspkr instead.

> What can I do?
> I can't take the pin from the Speaker. Therefor I had to deconstruct
> nearly the whole system.
> (keyboard, ROM, Mainboard, CPU and GPU fan HDD, RAM) thats not a
> good way I think.
> I disabled sounds in pidgin completely. I rebooted. It "beeps".
> BTW it beeps in FileZilla too.

Let me kindly recommend that you try the steps again for removing the
pcspkr module.  Expecially because you report that it does this in
FileZilla too.  Because I can create the problem with the beeping by
inserting that module and I can remove it by removing that module.

  $ su -
  Passwd:
  # rmmod pcspkr

I just now verified that with pcspkr installed I have a bell in pidgin
and removing that module silences it.  This behavior has been long
standing across many versions of the Linux kernel.  I believe there
must have been some mistake made rather than that it didn't work this
way.  Sorry.  Please double check.

Bob