Re: Pidgin makes noise

Thore wrote:
> my Pidgin is making noise (not Pidgin directly but it's an error in Pidgin)
> Everythyme when I try to get back and reached the start oft the text
> the system is making a terrible noise. The system Speaker (not the
> normal speaker) it makes beep.
> Very loud.
> The same happens when I get in the other direction or remove the typed text.
> How can I configure pidgin not to do this anymore. I didn't found it.

Two places and two different possibilities.

1. In [Tools], [Preferences], [Sounds] is the Pidgin sound
configuration option dialog.  It could be that you have a combination
of sound enabled that you don't want enabled.  I only have these
checked.  I have all others unchecked.

  [x] Message received
  [x] Message sent
  [x] You talk in chat
  [x] Others talk in chat
  [x] Attention received

2. The beep you describe sounds like the system console beep or
console bell.  Many people find that annoying but it has always been
the default console bell.  But searching for information around it and
around the Linux "pcspkr" kernel module will yield better information
about it.

To turn off the console bell / console beeper in X use:

  $ xset b off

This is enabled by the Linux kernel module "pcspkr".  You can unload
the module from the running kernel with:

  # modprobe -r pcspkr

To prevent the kernel module pcspkr from ever being loaded you can
blacklist it by creating a file with just these contents:

File /etc/modprobe.d/pcspkr-blacklist.conf:
blacklist pcspkr

With that in place the module won't be loaded by default at boot
time.  Without that module installed then no program will be able to
access the console bell beeper (by normal means) and the beeper will
always be silent.

Bob